Keep your CAD department singing — on your schedule!
Last-minute changes, particularly when CAD projects are approaching a submittal deadline, are something every CAD design department has to contend with. Here’s a typical, but simple example of what can happen: You have 150 design files in your project. You find out that several levels you’ve been using throughout the project are not going to be accepted by the customer and you need to move every element on those levels to a different level. You also discover that the font used for all the text, tags and dimensions has to be changed from the standard MicroStation “Working” font to the more AutoCAD-compatible “Arial” font. If you have to fix all this manually, how many man-hours do you think it will take? How prone to errors will this manual process be? How big a problem is this with a tight deadline? And finally, and maybe most importantly, how are you going to explain canceling your weekend plans to your husband, wife or kids?
With Global File Changer’s custom commands you can solve both types of changes on all 150 design files in under an hour from start to finish — get a hero’s welcome from your boss — and get home on time (might even save your marriage).
When changes occur with Global File Changer in your toolkit, you don’t have to miss a beat. Global File Changer has a fast growing list of custom commands that can do all of the following in hundreds of design files in batch:
- Globally modify text attributes, like font, text styles, height and width.
- Easily move elements from their current level to any new level you wish. This feature will also process components of cells and shared cells.
- Replace any set of cells with any new set of cells.
- Rescale any cell or cells by any factor from their current scale or to a specific scale value.
- Do any number of text search and replace combinations, on any number of files, using wildcards or the more powerful regular expression string manipulation system.
- Change text justification, while retaining the text element’s original position, so a change from left/bottom to center/center can be made with the text displaying in exactly the same position.
- Rescale text by a specific factor in height or width. Great for handling font changes that alter the display and plot width of text elements.
- Change the case of all text or any selected text. For example you can force all text to upper case.
- Do search and replace on tag values.
- Convert numeric values found in text elements representing length, distance and volume from English to metric, metric to English or apply a custom conversion formula.
- Report design file setting violations based on the settings from a donor file within any set of design files. This includes settings like global origin, color table, working units, working resolution, active symbology, and coordinate readout.
- Change any or all design file settings that you want throughout a whole set of design files. This includes copying view attributes that are set up the way you want them in a donor file.
- Count all your cells, or any particular cell you want, in each design file or get the total count of each cell for the entire batch of design files processed.
- Flatten any set of 3D files. If you use 3D models, but need everything at the same Z coordinate, this feature will save you tons of time.
- Move all elements in a 3D file to a specified “Z” value or by a specified Z offset from their current location.
Global File Changer has been keeping the knowledgeable CAD Manager on or ahead of schedule for over two decades and it can do the same for you too.
Call Now and Keep Changes from Messing with Your Schedule!
For more information on Global File Changer , contact an Axiom MicroStation Consultant today! Call 1-727-442-7774 extension 3902, e-mail 3902@AxiomInt.com or visit our Global File Changer Web page now!
More from Technology
CAD Standards Compliance Headaches?
One of the biggest headaches in getting CAD standards compliance is finding a fast and pain-free way to verify CAD standards are being followed. You find yourself with hundreds of files and you have to manually go through each one, ensuring they all follow the required standards. You spend hours upon hours, clicking, dragging and…
How to Handle the Rats’ Nest Masquerading as “Nested References” in Some MicroStation Files
“Most everyone recognizes that nested references can be cool — except when you’re a few levels deep and have to start keeping a spiral notebook to track them. The real goat rodeo gets started once you add inexperienced users and/or piss-poor file management into the overall mix. – Anonymous CAD Manager.” MicroStation’s Live Nesting…
Pasting spreadsheets into AutoCAD and Civil 3D just got a whole lot easier!
In the latter half of 2012, a meeting was quietly convened in a small coastal town in the southeastern United States. No news outlets heralded the meeting. No heads of state were present. The only invitees were our senior technical staff. The subject of this meeting: AutoCAD and Civil 3D. Developing software to help CAD…
Want a Faster Way to Change Working Units, Resolution or Annotation Cell Settings?
How to do it fast! BY RICK DEWITT MICROSTATION SOLUTION SENSEI Saving time and making more profit on projects are evidence of doing your job right. MicroStation cells, leveraged fully, reduce drafting time and increase profits. A new way to leverage cells is to place them as “annotation cells” in models that will be referenced…